Are you planning on moving? Or have you started discussing the idea? With the kids all out of the house and on their own, downsizing might be a good idea if you have not done so already. Here are some questions to consider :
1. Why are you thinking of moving ? Do you want a smaller home or a large home; but with someone taking care of outside maintenance like snow removal and lawn mowing ?
2. Do you want to move to an active adult community or to a community where there are people of all ages ?
3. Do you want to be close to your children and grandkids ? Is there any possibility that your children may be transferred to another state for their job after you move to be close to them ?
4. Do you want to relocate to warmer climate ? Will you miss your children and grand children if you move too far away ? Will your children be able to visit you quickly for emergencies ? Do you have family or friends at the new location if you are moving out of state ?
5. After this move are you planning on moving again in a few years or is this going to be your retirement home for a long time?
6. Have you thought of just make changes to your current home and aging in place ?
7. Do you know how much you will net when you sell your home ?
8. Do you know what your housing costs will be when you buy another home ? Taxes and association fees may be higher.
It is a good idea to sit down with your children and family and discuss your needs. The three important things to consider are Location, Size of new home and price based on your finances .